Stand with immigrants and refugees by saying NO to Trump’s supplemental funding request.
Tell your member of Congress to vote NO on Trump’s supplemental funding request!
More Background Info and Call Scripts Below:
Last Wednesday, the administration sent a $4.5 billion request for a supplemental funding package that includes billions for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP). They’re trying to grab billions more in taxpayer dollars to militarize the border and criminalize, detain, and deport more immigrants.
Make no mistake: this is an attempt to fast-track even more funding to fuel Trump’s anti-immigrant agenda and to expand an already massive and inhumane immigrant detention system, all disguised in the language of humanitarian response. We need your help today to stop Congress from adding one more dollar to Trump’s deportation machine.
The Trump administration is co-opting a refugee crisis to pay for more human suffering. Here are some toplines of what they’re requesting:
- $342 million to expand even further the deadly, abusive immigration detention system to be able to detain nearly 54,000 people every day.
- $377 million to further militarize the border, including an increase in funding for “Operation Guardian” which sends the National Guard to do Border Patrol’s bidding.
- $155 million for the Department of Justice US Marshals to criminalize people seeking to claim their legal right to asylum by prosecuting them for unauthorized entry or re-entry.
- And more to lock up immigrants and refugees, separate families, and deny asylees protection from harm. You can read more in our Defund Hate resource here.
So, here’s the thing. There is a real refugee crisis at the border, one that we need to address, but what Trump is proposing is NOT a humanitarian response. Instead of ensuring a fair system for processing asylum claims, using effective refugee resettlement programs, and addressing root causes for the refugee crisis — Trump is using the crisis as cover to expand his mass deportation machine.
For too long, our representatives have said they care about immigrant communities while simultaneously funding aggressive immigration enforcement. They now have a chance to stand with immigrant families by saying NO to Trump’s supplemental funding request. That’s why today — Thursday, May 9 — we’re joining the national call-in day hosted by the Defund Hate Coalition.
- Check out our Defund Hate resource with everything you need to know and a call script to help guide your call.
- Call 1-844-909-0232 and tell your member of Congress to reject the White House’s supplemental budget request for the Department of Homeland Security.
- Share! Tell your friends, family, and social media networks to make a call today. Click here to share on Facebook and here to share on Twitter.
Join us to reject Trump’s harmful money grab and to stop Trump’s supplemental funding request. This supplemental funding will only lead to more immigrant suffering instead of providing actual support or relief.